Today we’d like to take an opportunity to help clear up many of the common misconceptions associated with lawn care/ irrigation systems.
1. Watering your lawn by hand saves more water than
a sprinkler system would.
· In reality, watering the lawn by hand takes up a lot of time and could end up
costing you more money than you’d like to spend. It’s not easy to get even
coverage and maintain correct watering times in order to achieve optimal results when using a hose. Sprinkler systems can save you money, time, and stress. The key to a great looking lawn is balancing the fertilization, mowing, watering, and weed control in a way that isn’t harmful to your yard.
2. If you water at night, your lawn will grow fungus.
· Fungus problems usually arise from high heat and humid conditions along with excess watering.
However the best time of the day to water is typically early in the morning
(approximately 2am or later). The reason being is because around that time of
day you don’t have to worry about quick evaporation preventing the soil from
receiving water; also it’s normally a calmer point in the day to which no
external forces (such as wind) will hinder the effectiveness of the watering
3. Watering in the middle of a hot day will burn up your lawn.
· A common misconception with this myth is that watering in the middle of a hot day will allow the sun to magnify the droplets in the yard and thus cause it to burn. What will cause the lawn to burn though are irritants and added chemicals that could be mixed into the water that is treating the lawn. Even though watering in the middle of the day isn’t a direct cause of a burnt up lawn, remember that the best time to water is in the early morning.
4. Getting a sprinkler system installed is too tedious.
· Actually, installing sprinkler systems are worth the phone call it takes to have one
installed. They increase property value, save you time you would otherwise
spend watering your lawn, and most studies have shown that sprinkler systems
actually decrease your monthly water bill.
5. Installing a sprinkler system will ruin my well pump.
· Running water through the well pump actually cools the system down and enables it to run very